To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your blood
And poetry in your soul.
Today I shed many a tear as we spent our first day at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod. This event is HUGE. The primary school choirs were on this afternoon and I think I can honestly say I have never heard children singing like this. Rob says I was not the only one crying.
We have VIP Platinum tickets which give us seats at every event and entry into our own lounge. We know how lucky we are just to be here. However, there are two sad things about all this. First is that we can't thank Mum for giving us this experience. We can't tell her about it - she can no longer understand what is happening. Secondly, our Welsh grandmother, Alice Parry, who had music in her blood, never returned to Wales after emigrating and never attended this International Eisteddfod.
The afternoon climaxed in the street parade. By the way, there are 2 Australian choirs here and we joined them in their chant of Ozzie Ozzie as they passed us in the street behind our flag.
We met up with Allen for dinner at the Brittannia Inn, established in 1492!!!! (Allan had a train day today.) Then Rob and I went to the Opening Ceremony and concert. What can I say - no words could possibly describe this "Carnival of Nations", including child dancers from Zimbabwe, China, Belarus and Northern Ireland, acrobats and jugglers doing impossible things.
The venue is amazing too - it is like another city within the walls. It is very well organised and labour seems to be volunteers galore.
Another special day is in store for us tomorrow. Thank you, Mum.
No comments:
Post a Comment