Sunday, July 9, 2023

Garth Newydd 8th July Ffair Iaith

 A big day here, a "Language Fair" held in the university, put on by Nia and Marcus, with help from the mayor and many local groups that support the Welsh Language.

On the way in.
.


Me in the background having a Welsh chat with Welsh artist, Philip Huckin. 



The Mayor Opens the Fair

Rob Evans, the producer of the magazine for Welsh learners "Y Wennol"
"


Community Singing of Welsh Songs 
 
The Mayor and Me!


And there was a band, and dancing. First there was Nia and the Mayor Click to see the dancing - you need to. And believe it or not, the Mayor and I danced, but nobody videoed me.

I walked home after the dancing, through the grounds of this historic university, originally the College of St David, but now the University of Wales, St David. The foundation stone for this building was laid in 1822.

Back of old building.

Looking back to the new area where the fair was.

Front view of the University of Wales, St David.

But wait, there's more. Tonight we went to the last bit of the fair - folk dancing and then a band and singer. What a lot of fun. I took part in four dances, very active genuine early Welsh dances, led (called out ) by an enthusiast - instructions in Welsh of course.  We were all a bit puffed at the end. Then followed a slow dance which I didn't take part in so videoed a bit. Finally, the band with singer started - quite nice, but loud of course. After a few songs, the other Australian and I walked home.  Two couples that I thought
Me dancing!!

to be way older than me didn't go because they it would be too loud and too energetic. I just found out that they are younger than me, but I was less puffed than most of the younger ones. 
                                              






1 comment:

  1. I have written an article for Y Wennol about Garth Newydd and the cwilt, should be in the next online magazine

    ReplyDelete