This morning, we headed for the village of Tregaron, a half-hour drive from here. First up was a walk over the "bogs", an area that has been made into a reserve. I had no idea how important these "bogs" are for the world's future.
"Raised bogs get their name because of their domed shape. They are areas of peat that have built up over 12,000 years and can be as deep as 12 metres. They are home to rare plants and animals such as the rosy marsh moth caterpillar and the iconic bog rosemary......"
"....Healthy peatland and raised bogs in good condition absorb carbon from the atmosphere which means they are important in the fight against climate change. If raised bogs are not in good condition they release harmful carbon into the atmosphere." (Natural Resources Wales").
And then, off to the Red Kite Centre and Museum - Tregaron, Ceredigion, Wales.
What an interesting morning. We were treated to a talk from a historian, in Welsh, which I only guessed the meaning of - others told me later. I have seen a lot of beautiful kites while I have been here. They swoop so beautifully.
 |
At Tregaron: L-R Back row: Dick, Iwin, me Front Row: Hugh, Sue, Emma, Celia and Marcus.
|
The area is famous for its fine wool and garments historically produced. After this we walked through the town, and returned to Lampeter. After lunch we were "set to work" at the local community centre where we helped in three production lines, putting together the region's newspaper. We were rewarded with conversations with locals and our own copy of the newspaper.
So tonight, we went to the Vale Pub, the one that had an interesting "fair" on June 26, in a little village not far from Lampeter. I had no idea why we were going and what would happen. When we arrived, we sat outside and I learned that we were to join a group of Welsh learners who are taught by Nia. Nia is an excellent teacher and we joined in games that teach the language - lots of fun and laughter between the groups - the local learners and us. After the locals left, we went inside to chat for a while. It is a lovely old pub.
 |
| Me second from the left in my dark blue jacket |
I'm also getting to know the people I'm living with and they are so friendly and helpful. I am blessed, as they say.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment