Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Back at Garth Newydd

 Today, Kaye went back to London by train and I caught the bus back to Gardd Newydd at Lampeter. When I left Aberystwyth it was cold, wet and windy, but it’s fine here. I arrived at about lunch time but I couldn’t go to Gardd Newydd till later so I went into a tiny cafe, one that had a couple of old lounge chairs facing the front windows. I sat there for ages eating a toasted sandwich a hot drink. Then I gathered up all my luggage and sauntered down the road to my next adventure. Not sure it was sauntering - backpack on my back and pushing my case with a little bag on top, across a bumpy old pathway.

When I arrived, there was a meeting on the kitchen, but I was invited in (in Welsh) and offered a "paned o te" (guess that one!). I sat there and listened and tried to understand. I could pick up the jist of the conversation, but I didn't have to know what it was all about.  Soon Marcus (leader) arrived and knowing my level of Welsh spoke slowly and clearly to me. I was given the same room I had last time - ground level and very nice (bottom right hand window in the photo). Some of the new arrivals soon cooked the dinner.

Dinner was a good curry and rice - catering for some vegetarians and some "no spice" people. There are 8 of us here tonight. After that, I helped with the washing up  and we then went for a walk which ended up at the pub for a drink.  All through this, only Welsh was spoken. I'm told I will gradually understand and speak more and not to worry. 

We're home now and everybody else is upstairs in the lounge room, but I excused myself and came to my bedroom to write this blog. Tomorrow is planned but I'll tell you about it tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment