Saturday, April 28, 2018

Out with Shoko.

This morning Shoko took me out and about our neighbourhood, which is called Gose.
First we walked to the home of a 98 year old lady. We found her squatting to wash bamboo. Her name is Kiriyo and she greeted me warmly, telling me her age and asking for mine many times. She lives alone and still grows her own vegetables etc. She prepares, ferments and cooks. She has lost two husband, one to World War II and the second died too. I came away with
konniyaku , omeboshi plums and takana and with an invitation to come back and eat with her. Shoko has told me how to prepare these foods and I hope I remember.

No it is not bad photography. I felt tall beside her. 


After that treat, we unloaded the food to my fridge and set off to Miyazono jinjo ( a local Shinto shrine). This area once housed 7000 people and had all the amenities, Shoko told me. Now there are only 600 people and the old houses are gone. 
Shoko and I share a spiritual belief and understanding. It was very moving to be in this peaceful place together. We shared our gratitude for life and the beautiful environment. 




This tree was “born” in 1491 and fell in a typhoon 70 years ago. 
Shoko is better at English than I am at Japanese, but some things are lost in translation and I trust I have understood the facts and related them correctly. 


That’s it for today. I am going to study Japanese and practise my recorders. Maybe I’ll have time to listen to my audiobook - maybe. This evening I will try to cook again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment