Monday, April 30, 2018

Kumamoto

Kumamoto was our destination today. Two years ago there was an earthquake here and this city is still recovering. Many people are still living in evacuation huts. There are rows and rows of them.


Most damaged buildings have been demolished but we saw some that still stand ruined. One main bridge is still under construction. 
We visited friends of Toshiko and Kiyoshi. There’s quite a story of this friendship. 7 years ago, Toshiko’s little dog was taken ill when they were at the airport. They rushed him to a vet, but Aru had already died. This vet, named Park was very sympathetic and later Toshiko wrote to thank him. Some time later, this Korean vet and his American wife Linda were travelling through the mountains and called at Toshiko’s bakery. After a conversation, they all realised they had met before. And so began a friendship. Today Park and Linda gave us a tour around the worst hit areas, which happen also to be beautiful country. These are poppies. 


Then we were treated to another delicious and artistic meal. This is my entree!



This my dinner. 





There was also a teeny, pretty red bean dessert   

Then we shopped till we dropped and drove home (1hr). 
I’m done!

2 comments:

  1. All these connections are enriching your experience. It is so interesting. I really liked Kumamoto. I toured the castle with a local volunteer guide; a retired professor. He was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the castle a few years ago. We were both lucky to see it before the earthquake.

    ReplyDelete