As we couldn't get into our respective accommodation in Lampeter till later, we took our baggage to Kaye's hotel and set off to explore and find lunch.
We found multiple 'charity shops", antique shops and other interesting places, had lunch at "Granny's Kitchen" and finally booked in, Kaye at the lovely, friendly old Black Lion Hotel, and me at Garth Newyd with my kindred gardening Welsh speaking mates.
Cetra is the leader of this weekend and she cooked us a lentil soup for "swper". After dinner, we all washed up, and went for a walk around Lampeter, gardens in particular. First stop was the Lampeter Coop, vegetable gardens that provide some free vegetables to the public. Then, we walked to the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
For those interested:
St David's College, Lampeter was designed in 1822-7 by C R Cockerell the pre-eminent neo-classical architect of early/mid 19th century Britain. Lampeter was the first university college founded in England and Wales since Oxford and Cambridge; it was established by Bishop Burgess of Saint David's and J S Harford, owner of the Peterwell estate, Lampeter, for the education of future Anglican clergymen unable to afford the English universities.
We were particularly interested in their gardens but the buildings are beautiful.
I am managing to speak enough Welsh that they know what I am talking about but I don't understand all their conversation. It's ok though - one lady told me that I had improved greatly since I was on the Gardening Welsh Zoom meeting about a year ago. I gave that one up because my Welsh wasn't good enough.
Had a good night's sleep in my nice bedroom on the ground floor. Soon the day's activities will start.

No comments:
Post a Comment