Sunday, June 17, 2018

Kyushu Symphony Orchestra Concert



Toshiko and I had a great day together. We left home at 8am and got home 12 hours later. The trip to Fukuoka for the concert was by car to Hita and bus to Fukuoka, about 3 hrs in all.
Before the concert, Toshiko wanted to find a particular artistic gift shop, which sells beautiful baskets. We found the shop that was full of tempting objects and Toshiko bought a basket. 
After lunch we went to what I would call a family concert. Beethoven’s 5th Symphony was played in full, and among other pieces, Mahler’s ethereal Adagio from his 4th Symphony. An accomplished young female sang popular songs such as songs from My Fair Lady and Sound of Music. The concert finished with Wagner’s Wedding March from Lohengrin and to my surprise, a patriotic and rousing Pomp and Circumstance March and Land of Hope and Glory as encore. 

(I hope I got that all correct because surprisingly, I can’t read the programme.) I wanted to describe it in enough detail for you to know the type of concert. I don’t get the opportunity to go to symphony orchestra concerts very often so I really enjoyed hearing these well known old favourites. 

It was really nice to be with my Japanese sister for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment