Monday, July 27, 2020

Good Morning from Dorrigo

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1gRejFhUAkL8Alb5KB24KITNu5QZSfnM6
 I am staying with my my dear grieving friend Shirley. I was here for the funeral of her husband Norm about a month ago. 
It is such a contrast from being embedded in the young families of my children and grandchildren. 
Here, I am the young person with life and opportunities ahead of me. I was told to “enjoy my seventies”. Here I’ve been thanked for “talking” and “listening”. I was told (dare I write it) what a “beautiful, open, honest and loving soul” I am, and how much Shirley was looking forward to me coming back. 
Yesterday, another elderly lady came to play recorder and piano with me. I rarely get the opportunity to make music with others these days. What a treat! We played recorder duets and then one of  Handel’s sonatas, with Louise on the piano - one I knew. I play this sonata at home and Keith often remarks “that was lovely” but I so appreciated the precise and meaningful comments from both of these musically experienced and competent ladies. It made me swell with joy and hope. 
“Your music sings. The phrases are so beautiful. And that last “E” - it was perfect. I just loved that slight vibrato. “

It’s a little difficult to communicate with Shirley - she is a little deaf and she has very sore, dry and tired eyes, but it is so worth the effort. Sharing heart felt emotions about relationships - hopes and regrets about our children - I mean, regrets about mistakes we may have made. Shirley talked a lot about Norm including the “most terrible moment in her life when a nurse woke her at 2am a morning a month ago to say that 97 year old Norm had died”. 
Today, a health care worker will visit and then we’ll go out for a meal. Perhaps we will do a little shopping. We’ll chat and I might get a chance to walk and do some qigong. For Shirley, I will help her get through another day without her beloved Norm. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful time with your dear friend, Shirley. Hope she’s slowly healing. How I miss those face-to-face meetings and the touches and hugs! Those affections keep us emotionally sane. When you were there to generously give your time and attention to others, I’m sure you felt a tremendous sense of happiness that you could help to enrich them — even if it was just by listening. Keep it up, Wyverne and thanks for sharing! Hugs 🤗 Iris

    ReplyDelete