Saturday, November 10, 2018

Al and I at Dave’s Gig.

Last night we went to “Cactus”, a cafe in Ipswich, that has one of Dave’s paintings on the wall,  somebody else’s not so flattering painting of Trump, an anti Pauline Hanson poster and a whole lot of other similar stuff. 
To begin, I must say I was very surprised at the night life in the “uptown” end of Ipswich. I  also should say that this sort of entertainment is unusual for me and that all the music was written and composed by the singers. 
I enjoyed it very much. I will talk about 3 of them, Dave and two of Dave’s friends. First up was Lucie. 
I met Lucie and her partner Nym 5 years ago. They now have two little children. Last week at Franka’s birthday, Lucie and I had a good chat. I would even go so far as to say, we are kindred spirits. She is a joy. Tonight I was surprised to hear her powerful but also gentle, beautifully controlled voice singing from her heart , but at times funny. Lucie’s Mum, Jana was there from Adelaide and one song expressed Lucy’s gratitude to her Mum for her acceptance and encouragement to love who she chooses. 


Our Dave was next. As I think I said on my last gig blog, Dave has a soft, soulful presentation and voice and he is very popular. I don’t always hear or understand the lyrics, but an elderly (my age) fan told me his writing is poetry. One song he sang last night was about our Billywillinga (Bathurst) days and I know those words. It is a real tribute to his parents and his childhood and I thank him for it. The words he spoke to the audience about me and his childhood warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes. 


Next was another Dave accompanying our Dave. They went to school in Ipswich together and renewed their friendship when Dave moved here with Bek. Although I am not a fan of electronic guitars, Dave is an accomplished musician and they enjoy playing together. This Dave’s parents were in the audience at both gigs I attended, and his Mum, Robyn, told me how our Dave had supported their Dave through some tough years. She said that she and her husband loved our Dave and his songs. 


Listening to our Dave and his friends perform, and sitting next to his lovely proud sister was a joy. Thanks, kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment